Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cup of Ambition

That could very well be the name of this blog - or maybe it couldn't since I didn't check to see if that name was available and it seems, on second thought, very likely that a Dolly Parton lover/coffe drinker/9-5er has taken it. Because it is, of course, my favorite lyric (and I'm sure I'm not alone here) from the song Nine to Five, by Dolly Parton: peerless rant about the day-job machine, theme song to the movie of the same name, AND, NOW, a Broadway Musical.

I don't know why I'm so excited about this. My mom and I watched the movie when I was too young to get why it made her laugh so much and now I'm left with merely the lingering suspicion that if I were to see it now, it would seem a bit too timeless a commentary on the slew of 9-5 jobs I myself have somehow wandered into and subsequently hated. Plus, I've been solidly in the snotty "why can't they come up with an original Broadway musical anymore?" camp for some time now.

But I love Dolly. The woman's a natural. If you haven't seen the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, you really owe it to yourself (it stars Burt Reynolds as the Sherrif). And I do work 9-5, still, and am starting to feel like I could use a full-fledged musical in my resentful little corner.

Here's the two things that really did it, though, and they're both right there on the discount flier that showed up in my mail last week:
1. Allison Janney. Allison Janney! This is almost enough said, but on the flier there is a picture of her doing some cabaret number in a white three-piece suit. Now enough said.
2. I'm ashamed to admit it, and I will say that at first I was insulted by the very concept, but if you order tickets with the discount my flier offers, you get a bonus discount on DINNER AT TGI FRIDAY'S. That's right. I'm going to look past the obvious conclusion that the target demographic for this show is Midwestern tourist so set in their ways that they will eat at national chain restaurants while visiting New York. Because, let's admit it, this is the target demographic for most Broadway shows and probably for the majority of New York's entire necessary-evil-tourist-industry. So instead I am giving the producers props for not only copping to it, but putting it right out there on their flier. It seems like the perfect evening to me, to couple a goofy country musical with a combo platter at Friday's. Their onion rings are great.

p.s. I've heard that the discount is also available on www.broadwaybox.com. Just saying.

1 comment:

  1. While this sounds great to me and I love the idea of making a musical out of everything, I may have to pass as 1) I'm a big believer in the electric mouse trap so the rat poison angle doesn't really jive with me anymore and 2) every time I think of the movie, I think of Dabney Coleman which makes me think of "Cloak and Dagger" which fills me with jealousy and acerbity as I was, alas, unable to fulfill my dream of being a child spy (suck on it Cody Banks). As everyone is familiar with the aphorism: "Go not to a play filled with incredulism or rage" I will be unable to attend.


    ... but I'll meet you before and after for some of them there onion rings

    ReplyDelete