Thursday, June 11, 2009

Jazz Age Lawn Party!

In my life it seems there are endless things I learn about after the fact that I wish, wish, wish I had known about in advance, even if they are things that I am actually unlikely to go to if given the chance. It's the missing them that makes it poignant.

Not so with the annual Governor's Island Jazz Age Lawn Party!! I was thrilled to catch wind of this a full month ago in a rare fit of web surfing and immediately acted upon it with equally uncharacteristic organization, adding it to my google calendar with a reminder, and emailing my friend Tove who is my equal, nay my superior, in the love of all things 1920s. Tove, by the by, has her own blog which I feel safe in saying is also superior to this one, as it is both beautiful and intellectual (while I can say the same for myself, I am not sure I can fully claim this for my wee rants/raves).

So, not only was Tove on board with her swell fella, my man was on board, too, proving his own swellness by taking me out for a brunch and hat-shopping date. Yes, even writing it makes me swoon. Incidentally, this is the second time we have patronized The Village Scandal, the second time I have tried on and fallen for a hat, and the second time Lance has said "Please let me buy you that hat." Ladies! Hands off, he's mine!

Okay, this isn't him, though, this is me with the best costume there - a vintage hobo. He had a can of peas and a wooden spoon, string suspenders and everything.


HERE'S my man, lookin' stern:



He is serious about his gin.

Strangely there was actually no gin to be had at event, but it wasn't missed too much by me, a) because I am (gasp) not the greatest gin lover and b) because what they had instead was a St. Germain and prosecco cocktail - by far my new favorite. There was also an old-timey band with an old-timey microphone that was very hard for me to not jump in front of and start singing. There was dancing OF COURSE and lots more fancy dress, and in general I would like there to be many more events like this. Next time I will remember to dance and drink more! Jazz age lawn parties are not a time to be shy.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you writing again! We enjoyed the pictures too.

    ReplyDelete